Monday, July 27, 2009

Back to blogging!

And I'm back!!
Sorry I haven't posted for a while, I've been quite busy. I was @ camp the 12th-18th and once I got back I had 2 days to get back on schedule till I had basketball camp for 3 days (from 8a.m.-4p.m.)
The bible camp I went to with my youth group (12th-18th) was in North Carolina called The WILDS. Our biblical theme was on Jonah which I learned a lot about. I never really paid a lot of attention to this story and all I would think is that is was about God giving second chances to Jonah and the Ninevites. That week I learned a bunch more! Every morning in chapel we would learn something about Jonah's Magnificent God. His magnificent presence, power, patience and persistence. I will share with you some of what I learned:

God's magnificent Presence: Jonah 1

Where do I start?! Well ... we all know that Jonah tried to hide from God. Did he succeed? NO! So, why did he? If you have an all powerful and mighty God the why would you want to run from Him? God is omnipresent and so it's absolutely impossible to escape from His presence.
How do we know God is always with us?
A. B/c of His all seeing eyes.
You can hide stuff from your parents, friends, family etc. But NOT GOD!
B. B/c of His unchanging faithfulness
C. B/c of His communication thru His Word. Sometimes we forget Gods word, so that's why He wrote it!
D. B/c of His INCREDIBLE creation!
There's not a square in. in this universe that doesn't show His creativity
E. B/c of His constant availability.
F. B/c of His fear in my heart
Do you fear God like you fear man? Be concerned what God thinks of you. Not your friends.
G. B/c of His power over creation
H. B/c of His conviction in my heart
I. B/c of His Desire to draw unbelievers to Himself

God does what is best for His glory and our good.
Remember you can't run from the presence of God ... and why would you want to?

God's Magnificent Power Jonah 2

God's Magnificent Power can be seen ...

A. in His creation and control of the great FISH
Jonah prayed to God in the fish. What is prayer? Praising and talking to GOD. If you love God you'll not only talk to Him, you'll talk about Him.

B. By the power of the sea.
He controlled the storm they were going thru.

C. In His control over Jonahs life
Jonah didn't forget God. Even when he was on the edge of running. Don't forget Him.

D. in His Salvation freely offered to all men!
Salvation is of the Lord. It isn't a choice between heaven and hell. It's between God and your sin. Repent, Believe and Christ Receive. Salvation is a heart issue and no one can do it for you. It's your choice.

God's Magnificent Patience (this one was my top favorite) Jonah 3

A patient God ...

A. Gives CLEAR warnings
So why is God so patient? He doesn't want any of us to perish to hell.

B. Loves and looks for a repentant heart

1. A repentant heart believes God
2. It is serious about brokenness
3. It allows God to break him
4. It is obvious by its humility
5. It intensely cries out to God
6. It willing turns from its evil

C. Holds back His anger against my sin
Know why God hates sin? B/c He loves you! Sin is the only thing that will separate you and Him forever and He doesn't want that!

Gods Anger:
1. While slow is easily aroused
2. Is to be dreaded
3. It's not to be provoked

D. Allows us to live another day!
Every day God lets us live is such an incredible blessing! Every breath we sometimes take for granted.

E. Promises forgiveness
You can't forgive yourself. Only GOD can!


God's Persistent Love Jonah 4

How do I know God's love for me never changes?

God's love never changes ...

A. When I'm Moody :)
Jonah was focused on himself. It was all me, me, me, me, me, me, ME!

B. Even when I disagree with Him
We're all disagreeable and argumentative.
Disagreeable:
Jonah disagreed with a gracious, merciful, patient, kind and forgiving God!
Why would we disagree with such a great God?!

C. When I'm incredibly selfish

D. When I'm angry with Him
Anger is anger no matter what 'degree' is the thermometer. It is always defensive and is right in its own eyes. You may be right but you were wrong in reacting. That is something I struggle greatly with. Anger is consumed with self and some people would rather die than be proved wrong. We learn to be right by being wrong!

E. Even why I'm constantly 'up-and-down'
This kinda goes with He loves me when I'm moody

F. Even when I'm defensive and stubbornly refuse to change
We get used to doing what we want to do. So we are saying 'no' to God

G. Even when I choose not to love others the same way God loves me. (another one I stuggle with)
That's being hateful! It's hard to love people who get under our skin. But then we need to think how God loves us and the person we find hard to love. Just think, we sometimes get so frustrated with one person and meanwhile God is loving over 2 billion people unconditionally in this world! WOW!!


Well, that is all of my 'Jonahs Magnificent God' notes I'll share with you. Once I get my Pictures on the computer I'll post those so you can see how much fun I had and how beautiful it is there.

God bless!


Bri

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting your notes Brianna! Very encouraging. :) I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures, I'd really like to go to Wilds next year. Wouldn't it be fun if we could go together? ;D

    ~Bethany~

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great study Brianna! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and notes:)

    Looking forward to seeing pictures!!

    ReplyDelete